Sunday, April 25, 2010

SI joint pain :(


hey everyone! just a quick update...I was feeling really good this week, still working out almost every day, even running a couple miles every other day. Thursday during work, I all of a sudden felt this shooting pain down my left leg that literally almost brought me to my knees! I automatically thought it was my sciatic nerve, because I could feel the pain radiating all the way down to my calf. I could barely get through my morning of working, the pain was so bad. Luckily, one of our Physical Therapists working that day specializes in outpatient therapy and knows a lot about backs. He assessed me at our lunch break, and found that my left leg was longer than the right, which is unusual for me. He did some other tests, and came to his conclusion that it was not sciatica pain, but my SI joint has come out of line :( I put up a picture of what the SI joint is, it helps me to kind of visualize what exactly is going on with me:( It is the joint that connects my lower back to my pelvis. He said that the hormone surge I am getting being pregnant makes the ligaments around my joints more relaxed, and what likely happened the ligaments around my SI joint have really stretched, and a joint that typically does not have a lot of give, is now coming in and out easily. When it comes out, it gets jammed out of place, and that is what causes that shooting pain. He performed something that literally popped my joint back in, and the pain was instantly gone. But later on that day while talking to a patient and his family, it came out, and I literally yelped out in pain mid-sentence (kind of embarrassing!). He did the stretch again, and it worked again, and he taught me how to have Ryan perform it on me when needed. He also gave me a lot of exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around that area, as well as to continue to exercise. He suggested to do yoga, walking, biking, and the eliptical. He said I may want to stop running because of how easily the joint is coming in/out, the running could cause too much impact right now. He doesn't think the running cause it though, he said my back injury history is most likely making me more suceptible to back injury during my pregnancy (my biggest fear and something I knew would likely happen.) I did pregnancy yoga yesterday, and it helped during the day, but last night, I felt that pain again. I am trying to rest more and lay down in a comfortable position with ice on the painful area. I have my 20 week doctor's appointment this week, so I will make sure to let the Dr. know of this pain and what the PT told me. The PT told me my Dr. will most likely just prescribe PT, which I can just get at my work. The PT also told me he has a SI joint band that I can use to stabilize my joint if that is prescibed by my doctor. He also said I need to really get this area stronger before I get bigger because it will just get worse the bigger my belly gets! :(
On a lighter note, Ryan painted Owen's room yesterday. We are doing a Chicago Cubs room theme. We decided to paint the room a lighter blue because the Cubbie blue was a little too dark for a room wall. We are going to go to Wriglyville today to look at Cubs stuff to decorate the room. And hopefully find some time to go shopping to get baby furniture soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment